1. Hang out at the bridge
The place to be. Make sure to bring your dog, camera and war stories.
2. Queue at The Prov
Most popular items : bread, ciggies, beer
3. Be glad you don’t live in Black Street
And have half of your house underwater.
4. Take photos of the same things as everyone else (like me)
Look, the street sign is under water.
(2009 option: post on Facebook)
5. Check out the coverage on online news sites
See what they get right and wrong and who’s being quoted.
6. Check out the weather and river heights online
Obsessively, about every 10 minutes.
7. Wonder whether the bridge is under/still under
Better go down and check again…
8. Dig drains
To divert water from coming in to your house. Remember to do some ‘proper’ drainage work when the weather’s better.
9. Conduct an umbrella audit
Remind yourself to get an umbrella that works/doesn’t have holes/is big enough. So you can forget until next time it rains.
10. Reassure your anxious relatives
Yes, it’s rained a bit. No, we’re not going to drown. No, the river has never reached even close to the level of our house, ever. No, the world is not about to end. Hold the food parcels. As above, we’ve got The Prov anyway.
and a bonus…
11. Drink beer
If you ever needed an excuse this is it…
Any other suggestions welcome – add comments below. Is there an alternative list for South Bello or Thora/Kalang?